Free delivery on all UK orders £20 + & low cost international shipping rates
Setfree is a 100% natural ethnoveterinary formula to use on horses that are prone to the tying- up syndrome and as a natural alternative to Dantrium it .is also formulated to comply with the BHA and the FEI.
Setfree is effective against the symptoms of Recurring Exercise Rhabdomyolysis (RER) and also Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSSM) Horses with this myopathy have an inability to metabolise glucose. Excess glucose is drained out of the bloodstream of effected horses possibly due to an insulin sensitivity and excess glucose is then stored in the muscle. How this then affects muscle normal muscle function is not yet understood. EPSSM is very common amongst warm blood breeds and is therefore more likely to affect showjumpers and dressage horses.
Setfree can be given as an aid to muscle relaxation during an episode of tying up give relief to sore tight muscle cramps and to enable the horse to return to work as soon as possible after an episode.
Set free is an effective, economical, easy to use and palatable alternative and is safe to use up until the day of a race and is formulated to comply with the FEI rules of competition.
Dantrium or Dandrolene slows down the release of calcium from the muscle storage sites and acts as a muscle relaxant. The muscle goes into an almost rigour mortis type of spasm because of the sudden release of calcium into the muscle cell. For a long while lactic acid build up has been blamed for the cause of the syndrome but muscle biopsies have proved a faulty calcium pump is responsible.
Dantrium must be given to horses that have fasted for three hours previously and 90 minutes before exercise in order to achieve the desired effect. If the horse has eaten hay the medication won’t be absorbed sufficiently.
The withdrawal time for Dantrium is 3 days leaving the horse vulnerable to another tying up episode before a race and many trainers start to use Setfree as the Dantrium is withdrawn and then find it as effective but without the detrimental side effects (liver damage and lethargy) and withdrawal times.
This syndrome affects primarily the muscles of horses of apparently any age, breed or gender and results in the partial or complete inability to move at all.
Symptoms include sweating over the quarters, heavy and laboured breathing, discomfort moving, scraping the bed and trying to urinate, colic like rolling and stance.
Affected horses have an underlying susceptibility to the condition, which may then be triggered by one or more factors, usually including exercise, resulting in the clinical signs.
There have been several recent studies to find out why some horses tie up and it has been discovered that prone horses inherit an abnormality that makes excitement trigger the episodes.
The syndrome is worse in families that have inherited the defective gene from both the sire and the dam and as a consequence the offspring will be severely affected and all will have episodes of tying up.
Though a genetic test will soon be available to test for the tying up gene this may ultimately have a detrimental effect on the breeding of race horses because if a trainer is able to get an affected horse onto the track statistically it is more likely to win! Whether that's to do with the added advantage of an improved nutrition and medication or that the gene responsible for the tying up is linked to speed who knows.
Online for Equine - NAF Five Star Reward Loyalty Scheme
We have teamed up with NAF to bring you their incredibly popular loyalty scheme through our website. This scheme allows you to collect a gold star for every NAF purchase made over the value of £25. Once you have earnt five stars and have a complete loyalty card, you will receive an electronic £10 voucher to purchase NAF products through www.onlineforequine.co.uk. Visit our range of NAF products.
Terms and Conditions
1) The scheme starts on 25/09/19 and stars cannot be backdated for purchases made before this date.
2) For every transaction containing £25 worth of NAF product you will receive one gold star. This is cumulative e.g. if you spend £50 on NAF products in one transaction, you will receive two gold stars.
3) Online for Equine store these gold stars for you and once you have received five stars, we will send off your completed card to NAF; this happens on the last working day of the calendar month. You will not receive a physical card.
4) You will receive a £10 NAF Five Star Reward voucher; this voucher is electronic and can only be used on the website www.onlineforequine.co.uk toward NAF products. The voucher can only be used by the email address you have registered with us and will not be transferred under any circumstances. This voucher has a lifespan of three months; after this time the voucher will expire and cannot be reactivated.
5) This offer is exclusively for UK residents who are over the age of 18; employees, agents or families associated to Online for Equine Limited and NAF are prohibited from participation.
6) There is no limit to the number of vouchers you can receive through this scheme.
7) The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw this promotion or amend it at any time but will use all reasonable efforts to minimise the effect to the participant to avoid consumer disappointment.
8) NAF vouchers have no monetary value and cannot be exchanged for cash / store credit.
9) By agreeing to participate in this scheme, you agree to adhere to the stipulated terms and conditions.